In a move to encourage more people to use digital and cashless payments, the National Payments Corporation of India (NCPI) has come up with a system that enables UPI payments even without carrying a debit card. Called an Aadhaar card based UPI PIN service, registered users with this service can initiate UPI payments by linking their Aadhaar number with the respective bank account. This service is already available in some apps and banks, in this guide we will tell you step by step how you can set UPI PIN without debit card and get all the benefits of UPI based payments. So without further ado, let’s begin.
What is Aadhaar Card Based UPI PIN Service?
To make the UPI infrastructure more convenient for users, the government has come up with a service that allows UPI ID holders without a debit card to make payments to other individuals and merchants. With this UPI based payment system, users can link their UPI ID with Aadhaar card instead of debit card, which has always been the traditional way. The pre-requisite here is that UPI ID holders should ensure that they have registered the same mobile number with both their Aadhaar card and bank account. With this service, the government aims to encourage people who do not have a debit card to carry out cashless transactions through UPI and reduce the burden of carrying cash even for micropayments.
How to set UPI PIN using Aadhaar card in PayTM, Google Pay and more
Governing authority of UPI, National Payments Corporation of India (NCPI) has created a simple procedure for any person to set UPI PIN by linking their Aadhaar card with UPI ID. The process is as follows.
- Download BHIM UPI or any UPI-enabled app like PayTM, Google Pay, PhonePe etc. from Google Play Store or App Store
- Open the app and find the option to add UPI ID. Subsequently, you need to select your registered bank account
- Now create a UPI ID as per the requirement of the app and check its availability
- Once you come up with UPI ID, in the next step select ‘Aadhaar based verification’ and accept & accept all the terms and conditions
- Going forward, you need to verify your Aadhaar number by entering the first 6 digits of the Aadhaar card. Once done, press ‘Confirm’
- Next, you can set a 4-digit or 6-digit UPI PIN depending on which app you are setting up the Aadhaar-based UPI ID with.
- Now you can receive OTP to the mobile number linked with your Aadhaar card. If not automatically obtained by the app, enter the OTP number by typing it
- To complete the Aadhaar based UPI ID registration process, enter your pre-set UPI PIN for final confirmation.
- Once done and verified, you can now make payments to any UPI-enabled mobile number using your newly created UPI ID and also scan QR codes
Note that this Aadhaar card based UPI PIN service may not be available for enrollment in all UPI based apps. Also, the consumer bank should enable the service from their end to allow bank customers to create and enroll UPI through Aadhaar based authentication. So far only 11 banks have enabled the option to generate UPI PIN using Aadhaar card.
Which banks support Aadhaar based UPI PIN service?
Currently, there are few banks that support the new Aadhaar-based UPI PIN service. If you have a bank account with one of these banks, you can set and register your UPI PIN through Aadhaar card. Banks are like this.
- Central Bank of India
- Cosmos Cooperative Bank
- IndusInd Bank
- Kerala Grameen Bank
- Karnataka Grameen Bank
- Canara Bank
- Karur Vysya Bank
- Rajasthan Cooperative Bank
- UCO Bank
- Punjab R Bank
- SURYODAY SMALL FINANCE BANK LTD
To set up and create an Aadhaar linked UPI ID, you can download the BHIM UPI app from Play Store and App Store and select one of the banks mentioned above.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How Aadhaar Card UPI PIN differs from Debit Card?
Since the inception of UPI, a user willing to create a UPI ID must always have a debit card or credit card (added later) to avail its benefits. But with the introduction of Aadhaar based UPI PIN service, the way UPI is used may change as the newly designed system does not require the bank account holder to have any debit card. All payments made through this UPI service are directly transferred from the bank account to the payer’s account. Aadhaar based UPI ID also offers many benefits to the user like making UPI payments to others without a debit card or getting rid of the debit card altogether and making cashless payments through UPI. The handling charges charged by the bank for handling the debit card.
2. Are there any hidden charges for using or paying through Aadhaar card-linked UPI?
No, all currently running UPI based services are free irrespective of the third party UPI enabled app you use to make and receive payments. Further, the Finance Ministry stated that “UPI is a digital public good with immense convenience for people and productivity gains for the economy. There is no government consideration to charge any charges for UPI services. Concerns of service providers for cost recovery should be met through other means. With this statement, users can be assured that they will not have to bear any extra charges for using it Aadhaar card based UPI PIN service or any UPI related service.