For every salaried person whose company contributes to Employees’ Provident Fund (EPF), online activation of Universal Account Number or UAN is essential. It helps them to access their PF account services like balance checks, withdrawals and more from anywhere and anytime without any hassle. Wondering how you can activate your UAN online? This article covers everything you need to know about UAN activation, documents required for it, how to check UAN number, why UAN is important and how it benefits employees and more. So, read on.
How to Activate UAN Online
To avail online services on EPFO portal, you need to register or activate your UAN first. Here is the step by step guide for UAN activation through EPFO portal. Before you start the process, make sure you have your UAN number and PF Member ID available.
- go”servicesSelect “Select on Dashboard and from the drop-down menu,”For employees“.
- press “Member UAN/Online Service (OCS/OTCP)” in the Services section to reach the UAN Member Portal.
- On the page that opens, navigate to the Important Links section on the right and tap on “PActivate UAN” Choice.
- Fill in the required fields Including your UAN, PF Member ID, Aadhaar Number, Name, Date of Birth, Mobile Number and Captcha Code. Now, click on “Get the authorization pin“Button to receive OTP on your registered mobile number.
- On the screen that appears, click on the “I agree” box, Enter the OTP received on your Aadhaar-linked mobile number and finally, press “”.Verify the OTP and activate the UAN“.
Your UAN activation process is complete. You will login to the UAN member portal and receive a password to your mobile number to access your EPF account.
Note: You are allowed to change the password received on your mobile number in the UAN Member Portal. In case you forgot the password, you can also reset it, but you need the UAN number for that.
Documents Required for UAN Activation
If this is your first job with a registered company, you will need to provide certain documents to the employer to get your Universal Account Number. Note that this is a one-time process. Once generated, your UAN will remain the same throughout your employment.
Here is the list of documents you need to provide for the UAN activation process:
- Bank account details: Bank Account Number, IFSC Code and Branch Name.
- Proof of ID: Driving License, Passport, Voter ID, Aadhaar Card or SSLC book.
- Address proof: Recent utility bill in your name, rent/lease agreement, ration card or any other ID proof with your current address.
- PAN card
- Aadhaar Card
How to know UAN number?
You have two ways to know your UAN number: through your employer and through the official website of Employees’ Provident Fund Organization (EPFO). Here’s how:
by the owner
The UAN number is usually assigned to you by your first employer and thereafter, it remains unchanged for the duration of your future employment. So, you can easily check your employer for your UAN and PF details. You can also find your UAN in your salary slips.
Through EPFO portal
Follow the steps below to find your UAN number through the EPFO Member Portal:
- open up EPFO Member PortalTo reach the UAN portal go to Services > Employees and click on Member UAN/Online Service (OCS/OTCP).
- Under Important Links, click on “Know Your UAN”.
- Enter your registered mobile number and captcha code. Now, press the “Request OTP” button.
- Now, type the OTP received on your mobile number, enter the captcha code again and click on “Verify OTP”.
- On the new page that opens, enter your Name, DOB, Aadhaar/PAN/Member ID and Captcha Code. Finally, click on “Show My UAN” button to know your UAN number.
What is UAN and why is it needed?
UAN, or Universal Account Number, is a 12-digit unique identification number issued by the Ministry of Labor and Employment, Government of India and designated by the Employees’ Provident Fund for every employee who contributes to the EPF. No matter how many jobs an employee changes, the UAN remains the same throughout their service period. Each member ID (or EPF account number) assigned to them in different services will be linked to a single UAN. Below are the various features and benefits of UAN:
- It helps in centralizing the data of all the employees across the country.
- It simplifies the employee verification process for employers and companies.
- This enables EPFO to track multiple job switches of a working person.
How UAN Benefits Employees
Employees, in particular, can access many online services using their UAN, such as:
- Check all their EPF accounts
- View and Download EPF Passbook
- Claim partial or full PF withdrawal
- Transfer PF balance from old account to new account
- Track EPFO claim status
- Update KYC details and other basic details
Additionally, UAN makes it easier for employees to monitor that their contribution to EPF is regularly deposited by their employer. It also ensures that employers cannot access or stop their PF funds under any circumstances. Regardless of employers, UAN is a secure way for employees to track their EPF accounts at one place, at their convenience.
Frequently Asked Questions
How is UAN generated?
UAN is generated for an employee by his first employer, who has a total of 20 or more employees. At the time of hiring the employer asks the employee for some documents (see the heading “Documents Required for UAN Activation”), register him as a member of the EPF employer portal and approve all the details to generate a new UAN to link to his PF account. The UAN will be made available to employers on the online transfer claim portal.
Can you activate UAN offline?
No. UAN registration and activation service is available online only on EPFO portal. For Android phone and iPhone users, UAN activation facility is available on Umang app.
Can contract employees register their UAN to avail online facilities?
Yes. It is mandatory for an organization having 20 or more employees to generate UAN for its employees (with annual salary of Rs. 15,000 and above) – be it full time or contractual. Contractual employees can avail online facilities on UAN activation.
Is it mandatory to link my Aadhaar with UAN?
Yes. You cannot transfer PF funds online or even claim withdrawal if you do not link your UAN with your Aadhaar. Even your employer cannot credit your monthly PF contribution to your account. You can link your Aadhaar with UAN online and offline.
Do I need to activate UAN after changing jobs?
UAN needs to be activated only once. No need to reactivate it when changing jobs.
Can I get two UANs?
No. An employee can have only one UAN, which does not change during their employment and is transferable to all eligible employers. In case you have been allotted two UANs, you should report the issue to your current employer or email it firstname.lastname@example.org. After verification, your old UAN will be blocked. You have to submit a request to transfer your funds to your latest active UAN number.
Can I change my personal details linked with UAN?
Yes, UAN portal provides you facility to change your personal details linked with UAN. However, please note that changes will be made only if they match the details linked with your Aadhaar card. So, any changes in Aadhaar need to be done first.
Is there any fee for UAN registration and activation?
No, there is absolutely no fee involved in the UAN registration and activation process.